Wednesday 13 March 2013

Seizure Response Dogs- Epilepsy Awareness

I thought I would give a shout out to all those amazing seizure response dogs out there!  We mostly see service dogs working for the blind but service dogs are used for so much more.  I remember seeing a seizure response dog shortly after I was diagnosed with epilepsy.  At that time I was not a dog lover though....shocking , I know!

A little short story about my old dog.

I had a hound mix that would run away if you dropped his leash. It was so annoying but my fancy seizure tricks changed that habit of his!  One morning I woke up and was feeling horrible. I looked at my hands and arms and I was all muddy and dirty. I asked my boyfriend what happened and he said I must of had a seizure. Apparently I took my dog outside in the morning had a seizure and got back in somehow.  I was amazed that he didn't run away. There was no way I would of held on to his leash.  When I felt better I went outside to check it out.  It was very apparent where I had it in the snow. There were no paw prints showing him walking away. From that day on he followed me everywhere. I got up, he got up. I went to the bathroom, he came with me.  etc. etc. etc

It's amazing how intuitive our furry friends are.

For this thumb I took the inspiration from the vests seizure response dogs where. Typically they are yellow with some holographic pieces.





7 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story! Love the nails too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice story, thank you for sharing. Love the nails! The dog's little prints are just way cute. I really need to get on doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much dogs understand. Love your nail art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another cute mani in this series...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becca,

    I saw through Nicole gets Nailed that you were raising awareness for epilepsy. I think what you're doing is wonderful. I'm sorry that I didnt see this earlier but I have been so busy with other stuff that I havent been able to check out my blogroll much. :( I want to send you some love and let you know that I have created a mani using purple on my blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Lariesa is so awesome, heart my nail girls!! Loved this story, my dog is seriously my heart and I love knowing that even though he doesn't listen he would hopefully do the same!! And a big ol yes to homework days!! I've been missing it yo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you were okay!!! I never heard of seizure dogs before, that is truly amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any comments. I read each one and love the feedback